Sojitz Corporation who is the main sponsor of NIPPON REIT Investment Corporation (“NIPPON REIT”) aims to maximize mutual value of positions as enterprise which pursues greater business competitiveness and as society which places expectation such as local economic development andenvironmental responsibility on corporations while keeping balance between the positions at a high level.
Sojitz REIT Advisors K.K. , an asset management company of NIPPON REIT, has established the Sustainability Policy and practices it with an understanding that taking viewpoint of ESG (Environment, society and Governance) seriously contributes to realization of basic policy of NIPPON REIT such as maximization of unitholders’ value while focusing on income growth and stability.
1. Effort to save energy and reduce greenhouse gas emission
We will make effort for reduction of greenhouse gas emission to contribute to climate change prevention by improving energy efficiency and installation of facility equipment which is conductive to save energy, etc..
2. Realization of recycling-oriented society
We aim to realize recycling-oriented society by driving forward resources saving as well as waste reduction and recycling.
3. Compliance with environment-related laws and regulations
We will comply with environment-related laws and regulations including requirements which we decide to meet. Furthermore we will monitor law amendments and follow them.
4. Environmental education and enlightenment
We will disseminate the Sustainability Policy to our employees. Furthermore we will educate and enlighten them to consider the environment.
5. Collaboration with outside stakeholders
We will strive to collaborate with all stakeholders especially tenants, property management companies, suppliers and local communities in order to practice initiatives based on this policy.
6. Disclosure of ESG information and obtaining of environment certification
We will disseminate the Sustainability Policy to all stakeholders such as investors, and will strive to proactively disclose information on the status of activities related to ESG. Furthermore we will make effort to obtain environment certification continually.
April 25, 2017
Sojitz REIT Advisors K.K. , an asset management company of NIPPON REIT, has set its sustainability Target as follow.
(1) Establishment of targets to reduce energy use
- Pursuant to the Energy Conservation Act (Act on the Rational Use of Energy), in the five-year period starting from fiscal 2016, the basic target is set for reducing the basic unit of energy consumption by 1% annually on average for the entire portfolio and individual properties. In conformance with the Act on the Rational Use of Energy, in the five-year period starting from fiscal 2016, the target for the Investment Corporation at both the portfolio and individual property levels is an average annual reduction of 1% or more energy use intensity based on the standards outlined in the Act on the Rational Use of Energy.
- The targets of the properties subject to municipal ordinances related to global warming countermeasures will be set individually.
(2) Management of targets
- As a general principle, every three months we carry out target management, review the progress made toward achieving its targets and analyze the causes behind changes in usage by comparing to the previous period at a general meeting called Sustainability Promotion Conference.